K12 Education: Know the Pros and Cons of the System
Starting from kindergarten to class 12 traditional learning has encouraged the students to be a part of the setup call school. However, the mode of learning is changing. Moreover, the pandemic has clarified that depending on the online mode of studying can be more helpful than the traditional classroom learning model because it allows students to learn from their choicest educators.
They can enroll in their favorite online course. It can get a degree without traveling miles to attend physical classes. Technology has blessed the education system with inclusivity. Hence it is no more limited within the four walls of the school.
If a student is a homeschooler, military kid, or athlete, they can continue their education online without attending school. The online learning programs have taken K12 education to a different level by giving quality education while ensuring inclusivity.
Goals and Benefits of the New K12 Approach:
The K12 education system has set a few goals that can revolutionize the whole education system.
● The main goal of the K12 online learning program is to offer a holistic experience. Experience that a school setup provides a student.
● The students can learn whatever subject they want. They can also choose courses as per their preferences. The new K12 setup also allows them to get the best educators from different parts of the world.
● Online education systems are gaining more popularity with time, considering the time factor. The teachers can give worksheets and materials online; students can submit their answers online.
● For research works, K12 online educational platforms can be a perfect fit. The curriculum of these LMS platforms is mostly dissertation paper-based. Therefore, the students get to understand their level of education through a paper writing.
● The platforms are emerging as the most suitable platform for teaching and learning. The teachers can send homework and worksheets online, while the students can solve them and send them back.
● The educators have the policies to develop the course. Hence, it helps in creating new leaders in the field of education.
As the K12 learning platforms are gaining popularity, there are several situations that educators are facing. Even though students can choose a course, from anywhere, they are deprived of the classroom environment and ease of teacher-student communication. There are specific issues that the users of the K12 system are considering as its problem. Some of them are –
● The policies of the institutions may be problematic for some students.
● The lack of communication can also have issues with the learning of a student.
● The devices and infrastructure that an online education platform requires may not be available to many institutions or students. It can be a significant drawback of this system though many people claim it as an inclusive idea.
● Practical classes aim to give a better understanding of a concept. However, it is not possible if the educators are conducting online classes. It takes away the students’ chances to do an experiment and learn the inferences.
● The emerging problem that has been a concern of the educators, and the institutions, are plagiarism. Many students are submitting plagiarized content for their dissertation papers, which is a highly harmful attitude. It can impact their academic report as these courses give priority to academic papers and research-based education.
How Plagiarism Is Affecting the Online Model of K12 Education
The online model of K12 education is prioritizing a different set of curriculum than the physical school. The system is pretty challenging. The educators get to decide the syllabi or the topics they are going to learn.
Most teachers prefer to judge the student’s understanding of a subject rather than their memorizing capacity. Hence, all these courses include some academic paper writing. It is where there is a surge in the number of students committing plagiarism.
The students may lack the knowledge of the subject or unwilling to work on their own for the paper. They can directly copy the thing and pass the whole article under their name, or they may accidentally end up with some of the copied content. Whether intentional or unintentional, plagiarism can impact a student’s career in both forms. Therefore, the students should be careful of having plagiarized content in their work.
How to Avoid Plagiarism?
Since plagiarism is a threat to academic integrity, most educators warn their students about plagiarism. They must also tell their students about the consequences of plagiarism and the steps to stay away from it. It can help the students to produce plagiarism-free content. One should not forget that some of their mistakes may come from being less informed.
The Students Can Follow a Few Simple Steps to Avoid Plagiarism:
● They should keep track of their reference materials and resources while working on a topic.
● The students need to remember that plagiarism is a form of stealing. The only way to avoid the charges of plagiarism is to do a proper citation. The students need to mention all the information like the author’s name, work, page number, edition, and other such things for a proper citation.
● The students must know what to cite and what not to. Suppose they are using parts from another published work, then they need to do a proper citation. If they are paraphrasing those parts, they need to mention the work’s name without quotation marks. For online articles and journals, they need to refer to all the valid information about the work. The students can skip citation if it is a phrase or proverb.
● Suppose the students are using their previous paper or work on another paper for a different semester. Well, then they need to seek permission from both the course instructors. They should also do a citation to stay away from the charges of self-plagiarism.
● The students should use a plagiarism checker to scan the content and find the plagiarized part present. These tools help in generating the plagiarism percentage. It also mentions the source of the plagiarized parts present in the article. Students can work on the content and come up with an original paper, and the students can use the Copyleaks plagiarism checker tool for the best result.
Benefits of Copyleaks API Integration With LMS Platforms
The Copyleaks API is quite a helpful feature for those who are using the LMS platform. It enables the users to integrate the Copyleaks, AI, and Machine Learning supported plagiarism checker with their LMS platform. Thus, now the users do not have to open the site of the plagiarism checker every time to check the plagiarism percentage of their content. They can comfortably check it from their LMS platform only without much hassle.