The writers, publishers, and bloggers who are quite experienced in the field and have a grasp over the art of writing are well aware of the dos and don’ts to avoid plagiarism in any written piece. The problem arises with the beginners who are still a novice in this regard. Learn how to avoid plagiarism by using synonyms carefully.
Students and research personnel, especially, engage in writing lengthy papers for paper presentations. The risk of accusation of plagiarism remains very high because of the lack of familiarity with the rules and regulations.
The absence of proper guidelines and instructions often results in plagiarism. These are the cases of unintentional plagiarism where plagiarism is committed due to the lack of information.
For example, it is not uncommon for students to study and research various sources to create their content. But in this process, if they use some part of the content in their writing without citation or acknowledgment, they are accused of plagiarism. University plagiarism checker tools effectively detect such copied content with the help of the latest technology.
Colleges and universities require the preparation of multiple papers for research. The task is time-bound. Students are always in a hurry to meet a deadline.
It often compels them to adopt unfair means like blind copying of content. Such contents do not pass the plagiarism test when supervisors check for plagiarism using plagiarism checker software.
Are Paraphrasing Tools Any Useful?
Paraphrasing and summarizing tools serve as an easy alternative for creating original content but is still considered plagiarism. There have been many instances of the writer replacing a few of the words with the best synonyms. However, none of these suffice for the original content. No matter how ornamented the words are, creative and original content is more appreciated than the copied ones.
Students submitting such duplicate content created using the best synonym for replacing the author’s original words in schools, colleges and universities, face penalties. Since synonyms are nothing less than plagiarism, such papers are tested through an essay checker for plagiarism detection canceled by the supervisors.
Copied content destroys the students‘ reputation and degradation of grades and exposes the colleges and university to risk. Students may also lose one academic year to some extent.
How Can Copyright Infringement Affect the Life of a Student?
Educational institutions value integrity. The academic contents available on the internet are protected by copyright to prevent content theft.
Using such materials that belong to other writers without their consent is copyright infringement that may lead the offender to face legal consequences if charges are pressed.
Problems Faced by Digital Content
The digital platform has opened up many avenues for people. Writers now get the exposure they seek. Many bloggers who emerged as writers have found a better way to communicate with the audience via their blogs. The users get multiple options when they search for a specific topic on the search engines. But not all of these contents are reliable and original content.
Digital pieces of content like blog posts are easy targets for plagiarism, like any other printed media. One can find identical content on the same topic on the internet. Lack of creativity, the hurry to finish work, or merely the idea of attracting the brands drive writers to indulge in plagiarism.
How to Avoid Plagiarism Synonyms?
- One must first understand the demarcations that lead any content to be considered as plagiarized content. Summarizing, paraphrasing, using synonyms fall under this category.
- While looking for the best synonyms, the writer must keep in mind replacing a few original words is never enough. Replace all words with synonyms except the generic terms. The words need not be high-sounding, but the write-up should be understandable to the readers.
- To avoid plagiarizing, the creator must also consider changing the entire sentence construction. Make changes in the narration to give the sentences a new appearance without changing the whole meaning.
- If a student uses a renowned author’s exact words, they must use a quotation to reduce plagiarism risks when cross-checked with a plagiarism checker for schools. Source citing is also an acceptable way of using other’s content.
It is not uncommon for writers to be inspired by other’s work. But the author deserves recognition for his or her creation. Students should be made aware of the process of citation while they prepare papers. Each paper follows a specialized style of citation.
- Before the submission, there has to be multiple cross-checking. Writers must check for plagiarism in their work. There is no doubt manual proofreading is a tedious task and demands a lot of time.
- One may check a paper for plagiarism with the help of online tools that are user-friendly and fast. Another perk of such software is they let the users avail the service free of cost.
- Writers must be cautious while choosing their source site. Organizations protect their digital content on the web page to control unwanted access with copyright. One should avoid such websites.
- One can seek the assistance of paraphrasing tools. Most of the time, paraphrasing tools are accurate and work correctly. However, it is always better to rely on one’s own intellect.
- Brainstorm for novel ideas. As a beginner, the writers may use various online tools that effectively point out and correct grammar errors, construction, and spelling errors.
Let alone blatant copying of written words, images, etc., using someone’s creative ideas also fall under the sphere of plagiarism. Such steps are unethical and dishonest. With the applications now, it is easier than ever to detect plagiarism by tracking the source site.
Paper presentation or written work of any kind depends upon the creativity of the writers. One should research, get their facts correct, make multiple drafts, and cross-check before submitting or publishing papers.