Often, one comes across similar content with multiple versions, which drags the concept of duplicate content issues. The same content in different locations with a unique website address is considered to duplicate content in simple words. The exact content creates considerable trouble for the blog writers.
One uses the term duplicate content in search engine optimization to describe the same content’s arrival for more than a single time in the web pages.
These types of contents are either the exact copy of any content or approximately the same content. One can also notice that duplicate content may be there on the various domains. Well, this happens accidentally.
Since the same content is shown on different URLs, therefore search engines face difficulty establishing the high-rank lists as the search result. In return, it helps lower the URLs’ rank and initiates a particular preference to the other web pages.
For the blog writers, an abundant amount of copied content may result in a penalty from Google. Even if we consider that, this is not penalty fetching, but this influences the page’s ranking. Due to this, the page may degrade their page rank.
Difference Between Copied, Duplicate, and Thin Content
Before proceeding further, it is better to know the difference between the copied content, duplicate content, and thin content. These are confusing for the people. So the blog writers should know about it. The arrival of the same content with a different URL is said to be duplicate content.
Moreover, the search engine determines the page’s rankings and decides whether the content is duplicated, copied, or thinned. Copied content means cloning of the original content, and thinned contents are the pages that consist of low-quality content. The site’s quality creates an issue, which develops harm for the blog writers’ site.
Reasons Behind Duplicate Content
The following are the causes of the duplicate content:
- Variation in URL: With some analytical codes and click tracking, the identical content issue arises. Based on the URL parameter, duplicate content exists.
- Session IDs: Sometimes, session IDs create a big issue for the writers. An internal link occurs on the website, where session IDs are obtained along with an URL. Now the session IDs are unique for the particular session, and this creates new URLs as well, thus creating duplicate content.
- Scraped Content: Scrapes normally republish the writer’s content on their website, which leads to duplicity in content. It is a vital cause of copied content. Sometimes identical contents are also created, which influences the arrival of the same content with different internet locations.
- Printer-Friendly Web Pages: Today, people are living in a technically upgraded society. Thus with the help of smartphones, user experiences many things. Moreover, since the data and the facts are easily accessible onto a printed document, one can easily duplicate the content.
Impact of Duplicate Content on the Ranking of the Websites
For a large website, it becomes impossible to be free from duplicate content. Even it is next to impossible to establish unique content throughout the site. The writer needs to use many tools to avoid any duplicity. Unique and original content has a real craze on the internet.
It elevates the search engine rankings of the website as well. Even this creates the content plagiary. As we know, plagiarism makes the content to fetch low rankings. Even the blog posts need to have a good quality of content to achieve high rankings in the search engine.
Therefore, it is essential to avoid the problem of duplicate content. One needs to follow a few methods as a solution to this problem to prevent plagiarism.
What are the Solutions?
- A preferable domain is required to be settled on the Google search console of the website. It helps the crawlers to understand the blog writer’s version of the domain onto which they require to focus. To set a preferred domain, one needs to go to Site Setting in the Search Console and select the preferred domain.
- Usage of the canonical tag creates an original version of the web page. It also initiates to elevate the page’s rankings, prevents the same from being printer-friendly, and helps sustain its consistency.
- One needs to customize 301 Redirect to reduce the consequence of the issues created by duplicate topics. It helps to redirect the non-preferred URLs to the preferred URLs and motivates them to create an alert in the search engine as per the preferences.
- A website SEO checker is another solution for duplicate content. Copyleaks is the best duplicate content checker tools. It helps to analyze the number of times the content is copied throughout the web.
Tips to Prevent Plagiarism
Individual blog writers need to follow a few things to prevent duplicate content issues.
- Firstly, the content on a site is required to be of original content. Original contents increase the SEO rankings as well. It helps in creating plagiarism-free content.
- The usage of a plagiarism checker for freelancers is significant. They can easily avoid plagiarism within the content. As a result, this is the best method to protect the websites and the clients as well.
Therefore, blog writers need to know how duplicate content can make a negative impact on the website. Before publicizing any writing on the web pages, the blog writers should compare two web pages and proceeds through a plagiarism checker tool.
The blog writers fetch a massive loss of penalty if any duplicate content is there in a write-up. Thus, using an excellent copied content checker can be the best solution in this case.