Research skills are the essential qualities necessary for successfully heading a research project. Without the vital skills, it isn’t possible to frame the research paper. Writing a research paper is a significant task.
Meticulous research is indispensable to complete a research project. It is crucial to understand the research skills required for successfully conducting completing research projects.
Before delving into the treatment of a research topic, it is vital to enlist a few aspects necessary to gauge a person’s research aptitude. The fundamental factors that determine the research propensity of an individual are:
- The Sound Understanding of Language and Grammatical Rules: Without knowing the basic grammar rules, it is impossible to pin down the thoughts and ideas in a readable format. Hence, knowledge of the written language is of vital importance for conducting and documenting research.
- The Inclination to Read and Understand Several Resource Materials: Research requires extensive reading of several sources. People who want to conduct research have to read multiple texts for reference purposes.
- The Ability to Draw Logical Conclusions From the Given Resources: Inferences play a vital role in research. Individuals who can draw coherent conclusions from observations can conduct research.
- The Quality of Analyzing Texts or Any Form of Resource Comprehensively: Scientific analysis technique is essential for gaining a comprehensive overview of the resource material.
- The Capacity to Create Original Content From Existing Information: New perspective is the core of any research project. A combination of creativity and logic helps in the formation of new knowledge. People who can think outside the box and are not overly dependent on external sources can develop original content.
The Process of Conducting Research
Scientific or academic research requires efficiency and effort. Research is a gradual process that follows a series of steps. These steps are the following:
- Choose The Research Topic:
Research is topic-specific. It is vital to have a particular issue for a research project. Focusing or combing multiple topics won’t lead to fruitful research. There is a need to pinpoint the topic.
Keeping the topic generic or selecting a subject with a comprehensive spectrum is not always suitable for research purposes. It is still intelligent to have a specific topic that is well-understood by the researcher.
- Frame The Research Question:
The research query or the premise of the research topic is the core of the project. Without specifying the research argument, it is not possible to move forward with the research. The research query is the primary question that the dissertation seeks to answer.
The answer to the research query is the new contribution to knowledge. The research question has to be unique. It cannot a generic question.
- Select The Research Methodology:
Depending upon the topic and the subsequent research query, the researcher must follow a quantitative or qualitative research approach. The approach gets determined by the kind of research that the person is going to conduct.
In the case of scientific research quantitative approach is used, and in the case of academic study, a qualitative approach is followed.
- Read Available Information:
Information regarding a research topic is present in one or many forms. Previous research that has been conducted in the same field has to be evaluated. The information has to be gathered from all authentic sources that deal with the same research topic.
The information that is there in the research paper gets considered as the literature review. Hence, the resources have to be noted for writing the literature review for the paper.
- Write and Cite:
Remain objective while writing the research paper. Quoting and paraphrasing are allowed, but extensive text citations aren’t suitable for a research paper. All sources are to be documented as per the format of the article.
- Communicate with the Supervisor:
Provide the supervisor with updates concerning the progress of the research. Sort out confusion related to the topic immediately. Ask the supervisor to share feedback on the draft of the paper. Adhere to the deadline and follow the guidelines of the supervisor.
How to Check Research Papers for Plagiarism?
There are two kinds of plagiarism; one is deliberate. The other is unintentional plagiarism. When scholars/students submit plagiarized papers, they are held accountable for all the plagiarism instances present in the dissertation. However, the penalty for plagiarism gets determined after evaluating the types of plagiarism committed in the paper.
Researchers who commit deliberate plagiarism and submit duplicate publications are penalized for their misconduct. There is no excuse for intentional plagiarism. People often cite a lack of time to alleviate their unethical submission.
But purposefully taking credit for someone else’s work is unacceptable. It can lead to the cancellation of the research license of the person. For the student, suspension can be given for planned plagiarism.
However, for unintentional plagiarism, individuals are warned and given a chance to rectify the plagiarized content. For instance, there is an extent to which a researcher can use previous work in another research paper.
If the researcher tends to use excessive previously published work, then it can lead to self-plagiarism. Many scholars might not be aware of this kind of plagiarism, and they forget to cite their work. New researchers might commit accidental plagiarism that affects their research work.
For the benefit of honest researchers, it is suitable to check for plagiarism in a research paper with advanced anti-plagiarism software. Plagiarism detected with free plagiarism checkers is useful for highlighting duplicate content.
Many article checkers conduct grammar checking of the document. But with advanced software, it is possible to detect imperceptible plagiarism. This type of software is also suitable for detecting deliberate plagiarism that is craftily modified to evade detection.
Sound knowledge about the necessary research skills develops an informational research document that provides new perspectives on the existing gamut of information. Hence, it is essential to build the research skills for conducting explorative studies appropriately.