Plagiarism is an issue that concerns both the writers and the readers. As the number of online publishing platforms is increasing, the plagiarism rate is shooting higher than before. The same goes for the school or college dissertation papers.
However, many students or writers may not realize how severe the impact of plagiarism can be. Charges of plagiarism can ruin the career of an individual, as plagiarism is a form of stealing. Hence, unethical.
It is effortless for a writer or a student to take a stand and fight against plagiarism. They need to know about the issues that can cause plagiarism and how to handle it. If a user knows how to stay away from plagiarism, they can quickly produce original writing.
When a student or a writer uses parts or the entire text of another writer without giving proper credits to the original author, that becomes an instance of plagiarism. Using appropriate quotation marks and citing the source are the only ways to avoid any charge of plagiarism.
Plagiarism can be intentional or unintentional. If a student copies the whole work of a writer and uses it under their name, that is called direct plagiarism. The students or writers may also end up with plagiarism without their knowledge. Misquotes and wrong citations can also be a reason for unintentional plagiarism. Whether intentional or accidental, the writers need to keep in mind that plagiarism can severely affect their careers.
How to Work on a Piece of Content to Avoid Plagiarism?
When a student, works on a topic, they need to remember that the teachers are there to evaluate their depth of knowledge. Therefore, copy-pasting the whole article from somewhere else bears no credit. For writers whose success highly depends on their readership should also be careful about the charges of plagiarism. Readers enjoy original writing where they get to know about the thoughts and ideas of the writer.
When a writer uses copied content in their work, the reader loses their confidence in the writer, and the task gets rid of its artistic value. Therefore, the writer should concentrate on delivering an original piece of content. Here are some steps that can help a writer or a student to fight against plagiarism. It will help them to produce plagiarism-free writing.
- They can have an organized approach to the content to avoid plagiarism. First, students need to break the topic in terms of a few questions. Throughout the body of their writing, they need to answer those questions.
- The writer needs to make sure they are reading about the subject thoroughly before writing. They should also make a list of their reference works and source materials. Hence, examiners don’t face any problem finding out the source from where they have taken the information.
- Though the writers or students cannot copy-paste the whole article written by another writer, they can use parts of it to substantiate their argument. They need to use proper quotation marks and do an in-text citation to avoid plagiarism.
- They also need to do a proper citation at the end of the work. In that citation, students should include information like the name of the work, author, edition, publication date, and more. If the writer or student can use parts of any online article or journal, they should include the URL of the article in the citation, with the other valid details.
- Last but not least, after completion, the writer needs to use a plagiarism checker tool to scan the content to find the plagiarised parts. The writer can do citations or remove those parts as per their choice to create plagiarism-free writing.
What to Cite?
The writers should know about what to cite and what not to. Doing proper citation is the only way to stay away from the accusations of plagiarism. Having overall knowledge makes it easier to fight against plagiarism. There are different citation styles like APA style, MLA style, Chicago style, and other styles, and the writers can use any of them as per their choice.
- If the students have used any work of another author in their writing, they should cite that. This writing can be a part of any published book, online journal, or online article. They need to use proper quotation marks and do complete citations.
- If they are using any online content, they need to include the URL of the content with the date of accessing it.
- When a writer is paraphrasing content from another author’s work, they do not need to use quotation marks, but they must do proper citation for those works.
- If the writers are using some common phrases or proverbs, there is no need to do citations.
- A writer can also use parts of their previous works in the writing. But for that, they need to do a proper citation and use quotation marks. If they fail to do so, that can be an instance of self-plagiarism.
- While doing the citation, the writer needs to be careful about the proper use of quotation marks and details they are putting for citation. Any mistake in those details or misquotation can be an instance of plagiarism.
Use a Plagiarism Checker to Fight Against Plagiarism
It is a must to use a plagiarism checker before submitting work. It can help the writer to submit original content for their assignments. The writer can upload their work on the tool, and then it scans the content thoroughly.
It compares the content with other existing assignments over the internet and finds out the similarities between them. The tool also generates a plagiarism percentage along with a detailed plagiarism report. It also mentions the source links of those plagiarised parts so that the writer can do citations to avoid plagiarism. It can help them to fight against plagiarism and create a paper with original content.