How do Plagiarism Detectors Work?
Plagiarism is defined as illicit acquiring and stealing of others thoughts, ideas, language, and expression. The word is derived from the Latin word “Plagiarius” which means to steal others work. The massive use of computers and the internet make an easy path for plagiarism.
Plagiarism occurs when a writer uses someone else’s language, ideas, or material without acknowledging its source. It can be either intentional or unintentional. Plagiarism includes stealing and publication of others ideas and writings. Copying a document also amounts to plagiarism. Giving one’s name to someone else’s work also can be treated as plagiarism and therefore, it is important to use various plagiarism detection software or tools. The tools are there because often the cases of plagiarism take place even when the writer is not aware of it, or one can say unintentionally.
Identify plagiarism can become easier if you have within your reach the plagiarism checking software. They are easily available online and they can compare texts and help the writer to find out the matching texts or contents. One can find these tools online after they have either uploaded the text or copy-pasted it they check the content with other various texts available online in order to detect plagiarism.
Different software works differently. For example, Copyleaks is one such tool where they use artificial intelligence or AI along with high quality and improved algorithm in order to identify cases of plagiarism. Thus, compared to other tools they provide the users a sound and improved results that help them to protect their content and also allow people to get involved in serious problems.
Types of plagiarism
Paraphrasing is the act of rewriting a text in your own words. However, if proper citation goes with the paraphrased contents then one can protect one’s document from plagiarism. It occurs when you copy the main points of content and rephrase it in your own words.
Verbatim means word-by-word copy of the text. It occurs when a person completely copies and pastes someone else’s work and called it their work.
It is necessary to put quotation marks while using others’ writings or texts in one’s own work.
It occurs when one copy-pastes others’ work with slight changes into it. It is as similar to paraphrasing; however, it is more deceitful by nature.
It happens when one copy-paste and knowingly provide the wrong citation of the document.
It occurs when a person uses his/her previous work and paraphrases them without investing time on research.
Consequences of plagiarism
The consequences of plagiarism can be seen in various fields such as
- Students’ reputation: Plagiarism implication can cause a student to be suspended or expelled. Their scholastic information can display moral misdeed, causing the student to be prohibited from entering taking admissions in other educational institutions. Many students may get suspended due to plagiarism and their higher education or career may get affected because of this reason.
- Professional reputation: Plagiarism may affect a business owner who owns a website with quite a few numbers of contents in it. Duplicate content may ruin the prestige and harm the reputation of the firm.
- Academic reputation: Academic reputation may also get affected by plagiarism. Promulgating is an essential part of an academic career. So plagiarism should be stopped to avoid the distortion of the academic career.
- Monetary loss: Compensation should be paid in the form of money for being an accused of plagiarism.
- Legal Repercussions: Writing an article or document is the author’s creation and no one has the right to copy those writing and use it for their own purpose without acknowledging the author. Hence, the author has the right to sue the person who has been involved in such a heinous action in order to protect their content.
Plagiarism destroys the reputation of students, content writers, business owners, and also the academic researchers and can even cause a monetary loss as well.
Easy steps to avoid plagiarism
- Original ideas and expression – In order to avoid plagiarism, it is important to come up with original ideas. You can also repeat the relevant ideas.
- Paraphrase: Using information from a source it’s a good idea to write it in your own words. Location of the site is important but do not cite the common knowledge like the sky is blue as we all the color of the sky is blue.
- Cite your sources: It is very important to cite sources to avoid plagiarism. It may be journals, articles, blogs, books or websites.
Plagiarism is a serious offense and it should be stopped as far as possible. Hard work and dedication were required for writing an article or blog. Nobody has the right to destroy someone’s hard work and someone involved in such an act should be punished as soon as possible. However, it is not always true that writers intentionally plagiarized texts thus there are free plagiarism checkers, which helps in protecting each content.